Khidmat Masyarakat

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Solani #763 : White & Black


Today I will be reviewing an offering by Solani, blend no. 763. A quick check on the website describes this blend as a delicious flake with dark Virginia, black Cavendish and Syrian Latakia. Looking at the tin, I am quite impressed with the classy and premium yet minimalistic feel that the packaging exudes. The polished aluminum tin is decorated in black and white decal to handsomely echo the name of the blend. In this part of the world I paid RM 39.00 (approx. USD 12.60) for a 50g tin.

Inside the tin
Once the tin is popped open, one is greeted with a very loosely broken flake format. I observed a well mixed combination of dark black and light brown strands. The tin note is a very inviting sour cream-ish, ketchup and mustard aroma. I can estimate that there quite a "healthy" dose of Latakia present in this blend as there is also the smoky campfire aroma lingering in background. The humidity level of the tobacco inside the tin is what i would describe as spot-on, neither being too moist nor too dry for my liking.


In the bowl
The Solani #763 packs and lights very easily into my Brebbia pipe thanks to it's almost perfect moisture level and the coarse broken flake format. Upon lighting it, one is greeted with the sweetness of the dark Virginias and a pleasant woody aroma.The latakia present in this blend is not overly powering yet it acts as a perfect complement to the black cavendish and virginias. The tobacco stays lit pretty well when packed with just the right amount. This is a blend that I would highly recommend to beginners to English blends and not for die hard Latakia lovers. However, I find it pleasant enough to be included in my regular rotation. Indeed Solani is right to describe this as an "outstanding blend that is as smooth as silk and will soon become a favorite": amongst new and seasoned smokers alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment